Our Social Studies Program is designed to assist children in seeing the dignity of human life with the vision of Jesus and involving them in the search for just solutions to the pressing problems of society. The program includes the spiraling development of the key concept goals and the incorporation of skills needed to gather, use, and present information.
The program offers the student an opportunity to infuse elements of justice and peace within the five perspectives developed: social, political, economic, geographic, and historic. Students will arrive at a greater understanding of society, its conflicts, its problems, and its solutions and resolutions.
Teachers have the opportunity and responsibility to articulate their value-centered vision. They bring an understanding of Gospel values to the children which will motivate students to strive for world justice and international peace.
The teacher uses a wide variety of evaluation techniques: observations, checklists, conferences, group discussions, value-clarification and problem-solving processes, questioning, tests, expository writing and culinary projects.
-At the conclusion of eight years of study, the student will:
- master the basic skills of getting, using, and presenting information
- build mental categories which will provide a foundation for their future learning experiences
- responsibly participate in interpersonal and group discussions and decisions
- develop constructive attitudes toward diversity, change, and conflict
- be able to make decisions and judgments using standards such as social justice, morality, ethics, and practicality
- develop responsibilities and pride that enhance citizenship